Verbal Abuse – 5 Red Flags to Help You Identify If You Are in an Abusive Relationship
Have you have ever wondered, “Am I in an abusive relationship?” “Is this normal?” “Do other people go through what I am experiencing?” “Why do I hate myself?” “Why am I so sad?” “What happened to my life?” “Why do I feel like I can’t do anything right?” “Why is he so nice to others, but not to me and the children?”
These may be some of the questions that you have been asking yourself just like I did. Your questions are perfectly normal and healthy. Learning to identify the signs of abuse in a relationship is the first sign to healing. You do not even realize that you are being abused. You know that you are not happy. You wish that things could be better, but you are not sure how to make that happen.
Here are some signs to look out for in your relationship. Being conscious and aware of you and your feelings are critical for you to identify what is happening in your life.Do you find yourself walking on eggshells when your husband or boyfriend is around? Are you always on edge because you are unsure of what you should say or what you should do?
- Are you constantly worried about how he will react? You never know if he will be happy or angry today. Every day seems to be another trial of whether he will yell loud or yell louder so you are worried all the time.
- Do you find yourself anxious that he will catch you relaxing or reading a book. You are afraid all the time that he will get angry because you are not doing “something” that you are supposed to do. If he finds you relaxing he will get angry and you cannot risk that, so you are anxious your listening is heightened so that he does not catch you.
- How are you feeling? Are you feeling tired and stressed most of the time? Do you find yourself unable to complete your tasks during the day because you are too tired? Do you find yourself cranky with yourself or the children? Do you find yourself unable to sleep at night because you are thinking too much? So you are not sleeping well at night and you are tired and stressed out during the day.
- Are you wondering what is wrong with you? Do you hate yourself? Do you find yourself berating yourself with negative self talk? Are you angry with yourself because you feel like a failure? Do you think that you are the cause of all your problems in your relationship?
If you answered YES to two or more questions, you may be in an abusive relationship. Start observing your behavior. Go online and do some searches about verbal and emotional abuse. This is an important step in your healing. You may also consider going to the library and getting some books on the subject.
Most importantly, listen to your feelings. Let them be your guide. You may be on to something important.
Drop me a line. I want to hear your comments and feedback. I love knowing how you see this topic.
Wanna Read More? Here are some of my articles which you might found interesting
- Release Your Fear and Reclaim Your Voice in 3 Powerful Steps
[Relationships:Communication] Fear keeps us from waking up in the morning. Fear keeps us from achieving our goals and dreams. Fear keeps us from speaking our truth. Are you trying to reclaim your voice, but can’t find the best way to achieve that?
- Escape People Pleaser Prison and Increase Your Self Worth and Self Confidence
[Self-Improvement:Personal-Growth] Is it even possible to get out of people pleaser prison? The answer to that question lies in the fact that you must first recognize that you are in a prison that you have created for yourself. You make others more important to you. You are proud of the fact that you know better than others of what will make them happy.
- Speak Up For Yourself and Easily Become a Recovering Doormat
[Relationships:Communication] Are you being treated like a doormat? Are you sick and tired of people walking all over you? Are you ready to change your situation? If you answered yes, then I want to congratulate you for making such a wise and courageous decision to grow a spine and stand up for yourself. The most important step that you must make to become a recovering doormat is to just speak up. Speaking up for yourself is an awesome way for you to take your power back and create boundaries to stop others from taking advantage of you.
- Negative Self Talk is the Greatest Form of Verbal, Emotional and Mental Abuse
[Self-Improvement:Positive-Attitude] Do you know who the most important person is in your life? The answer is, you. There is no one in your life that has greater influence over you then you do yourself.
- Verbal Abuse – 5 Red Flags to Help You Identify If You Are in an Abusive Relationship
[Relationships:Domestic-Violence] Have you have ever wondered, “Am I in an abusive relationship?” “Is this normal?” “Do other people go through what I am experiencing?”
- Verbal Abuse – A Sample Letter From My Own Life
[Relationships:Domestic-Violence] Many people don’t even know that they are being abused verbally or emotionally. I was one of those people. I thought that everyone was being treated like I was. I thought that everyone was walking on eggshells afraid of how their spouses were going to react.
- Overcoming Adversity to Feel More Confident and Happy
[Self-Improvement:Self-Esteem] Overcoming adversity can change your life literally for the better, but many people are not sure how to overcome adversity. It won’t be easy that is for sure, but it is definitely possible for anyone to overcome and type of adversity that stands in your way.
- My Answer is NO – If That is Okay With You
[Self-Improvement:Positive-Attitude] Many people, men and women, have problems with saying no when they should have. That is why you need to know how to tell people, my answer is NO…if that is okay with you, without feeling guilty.
- Loving Myself Was the Key to Empowerment
[Self-Improvement:Empowerment] It was really difficult to start loving myself but I did it is a statement that many people want to make, but can’t figure out how to achieve the goal of loving themselves. There are some important steps that you need to take that will make loving yourself much easier for you.
- I Got Tired of Being a Doormat – How to Take Control of Your Life Back
[Self-Improvement:Empowerment] When I got tired of being a doormat is a phrase that you may have heard many people saying or may have even said yourself. No one likes being a doormat for anyone, but there are too many people that allow this to happen to themselves. You can prevent yourself from being a doormat by taking back control of your life.
- Verbal Abuse – What is It?
[Relationships:Domestic-Violence] There are many people that deal with verbal abuse on a daily basis. Some people understand that they are being abused, but others never even realize that it is happening.
- Ways to Overcome Fear and Step Into Your Power
[Self-Improvement:Empowerment] Fear is something that holds a lot of people back in their lives because they don’t know how to move beyond it. Moving beyond fear is not going to be easy for sure, but the rewards are definitely well worth it.
- How Bullies Keep Us Under Their Thumb If We Allow It
[Self-Improvement:Empowerment] Bullies are something that everyone deals with at some point in their lives. Knowing how bullies keep us under their thumb can help you start figuring out a way to get out from under their thumb.
- Feeling Empowered With Energy Power Tools That Will Help You in Record Time
[Self-Improvement:Empowerment] Feeling empowered is something that everyone wants, but not everyone knows how to achieve that goal. It is not as hard to do as most people believe it is. There are some energy power tools that you can use to help you start feeling more empowered every day.
- Achieve Fearless Faith Now and Have a Happier Life
[News-and-Society:Religion] Having faith is something that everyone needs to have these days, but not everyone does. Knowing how to achieve fearless faith will help anyone revive your faith so you can live a much happier life.
- A Great Attitude Can Make Your Life Awesome
[Self-Improvement:Positive-Attitude] Do you go through life with a good attitude or a bad attitude? Did you know that the attitude you have has the power to make your life happy or miserable? Having a great attitude is always the best way to get through life because there are so many things that a good attitude can do for you to make your life better.
- Being Grateful Has the Power to Change Your Life For the Better
[Self-Improvement:Achievement] Are you grateful for what you have in your life? Most people like to believe they are, but they really deep down are not. Being grateful is definitely something that has the power to change your life for the better.
- The Power of Affirmations and Their Affect on You
[Self-Improvement:Affirmations] There are many people in the world these days that still don’t understand the power of affirmations and how they can have a big affect on your life in a good way. For anyone that is not happy with your life the way it currently is, you really need to use this so you can change your way of thinking to positive only.
- Powerful Positive Affirmations Will Literally Change Your Life For the Better
[Self-Improvement:Affirmations] Are you tired of negative thoughts running through your mind and influencing your life in a bad way? Then you need to know how powerful positive affirmations can literally change your life for the better and will rid your mind of the negative thoughts completely.
- How to Use Daily Affirmations to Achieve Complete Happiness in Your Life
[Self-Improvement:Affirmations] Are you trying to achieve complete happiness in your life like everyone is these days, but are not succeeding? Then you need to understand how you can use daily affirmations to achieve the happiness in your life that you are aiming for.
- Positive Affirmations Really Do Help You Remember You Are Loved
[Self-Improvement:Affirmations] One of the most important things that people everywhere need to understand is how positive affirmations can help you remember every day that you really are loved.